Jun 26, 2011

A lengthy post - but one actually worth ready.

Little late bloomer here. I am assuming that most of you reading this right now has already seen the trailer for "The Help"? I just now watched it a second ago, and typical wee wee wee I cry all the way home Roxy now has to go blow her nose. Pretty much, my most favorite movies are the ones so inspiring, that they will literally get me throwing fist air punches all over the place yelling "YES" to the character who finally stuck it to the self centered jack ass!  That said, I CANNOT WAIT to see this movie!  "The Help" brought out some funky emotions in me due to being "the help" a couple times in my life. While living in New York, before my 3rd nanny job [that I often mention in my blog with sooo many fond & happy memories] I worked for two other families in one year. The first nanny job I acquired upon my arrival in Manhattan, was stationed on the 36th floor of an amazing high rise building whose space was shared with the likes of Howard Stern, Regis Philbin, Liam Neeson and many many soap stars. My bedroom window which happened to also be the office window had thee most amazing view of Central park. That job lasted 2 months.  Then I was off to a 52 min commute every day in Long Island, no longer doing the live-in thing, but yet again getting tricked into a job that seemed to good to be true. I was this family's 14th nanny in 2 years - why I didn't see the red flags still confuses me to this day. However, I am one of timing's biggest supporters and it wasn't till 6 months later that I got fired [THANK YOU FRENCH FAMILY IN LONG ISLAND!!!] and then wisely chose to go through an agency the third time around. If you are ever considering being a nanny...GO THROUGH AN AGENCY! The majority of crazies do not go through an agency because 1. They are cheap 2. They don't give a hoot about finding the right nanny/caregiver for their children & 3. They aren't going to pay you well, which also means they are going to cheat you in every direction, and they don't want an agency calling them or YOU asking about how your experience is going so far.  I finally went through an agency - and yes, there was a couple of wack-job families that I interviewed with that I did NOT feel good about. Here's a tip: if you are interviewing for a nanny job with the mother, and her "precious" son comes up and asks for a toy to play with and the mother says "not now son" and little precious doesn't like that response so decides to slap her [he is around 5 by the way] and she laughs it off..yeah...RUN FOR YOUR LIFE...no matter how much money they offer. Get out of there! When I was in the middle of this experience and witnessed just what I had told you all... I kept thinking to myself "lawsuit..lawsuit...lawsuit" It's parents like that who will believe their 5 year old child over you - you will always loose. After landing my most favorite job to boot, I had witnessed that type of scenario take place with a couple of my other nanny friends in New York. It was sad and so humiliating for them. :(

I would say that most nanny's in New York are in their late 30's to 50's, sometimes illegal and typically from Trinidad, Tobago, Jamaica, Thailand, and Singapore. With that said, this puts them in the "I will get taken advantage of category". After being a nanny for many years, I saw plenty of racism, but it was more watered down. I remember hearing story upon story of all the ridiculous requests these entitled employers were asking of their nannies. One of the most famous one's I heard was from the nanny who worked in the same building as me. Almost every Wednesday for a couple years we would meet in the laundry room to do the wash together... one week she was livid..her best friend who was also a nanny just a block away, had recently been TOLD by her new employer that she was to wash this ladie's panties, separately....and by hand. Another pit in my stomach had formed. I have said many a times that I got lucky with the last  family I nannied for.  Never had I been asked to do something that the parents themselves wouldn't do. In my interview I was not asked if I was cpr certified. That was my "make it or break it" question. Once that question was asked I new that it would not be a fun job. So many parents will require this of their nannies, but they themselves are not cpr certified.  I think they feel that having that requirement makes them a better parent, but not realizing that what is even better is if the PARENTS are actually cpr certified...anyways my long winded point I am trying so hard to make through all my web's of syntax is that "The Help" looks AWESOME. And hopefully...just hopefully it will open employers eye's  who do have housekeepers, nannies, or both and perhaps need a good teaching to. Even though this movie takes place in the 50's [?] that kind of "I am better than you" behavior still exists.  Lastly, if you are someone who has some help around the house and thinks that you don't fit into this category...well then ask yourself this question: If your adult daughter or son happened to be working for another family doing the same job as your hired help, are you honestly okay with them getting the same pay and treatment that you give your help? If the answer is yes, I totally respect you.... if it is "uhhh not really"...
:( please change that.

8 comments:

dqb said...

this is a very honest post. I have more respect for you (even more !)
Best, Dominique, from Argentina.

KamilahNYC said...

Read the book, first! Although the movies looks good.

MandiScandal said...

oh my gosh rox! I saw this last night and almost TEARED up in the theatre and I NEVER cry in movies. I want to see this sooooo bad! Let's get ang em and meg to come with!

lena said...

hi roxy!
I loved this post... I was a nanny for many super wealthy families in NYC too. I worked with an agency called Pinch Sitters that sent me to different families when their regular nannies were on vacation (or quit, or fired!) and I saw some very depressing parents. and I was also a babysitter for a really wonderful family for years. now I have hired a sitter for Eli and it's so weird to be on the other side. I try to not do any of the things that annoyed me and I really hope that she enjoys being a nanny for us. and I pay her more than I can afford!

Jaime Van Hoose Steele said...

Loved the book and I can't wait to see the movie! I was astounded that people actually treated others this way! After I read it I wondered if I was raised to think the help was inferior what would I do?? I really hope I would be more like a Skeeter than a Hilly.

ROXY MARJ said...

Thanks dbq. :) xo

Kamilah! I plan on getting myself a copy today! Going to the library after work.. :) xo MISS YOU!!

Mandi, I talked to Angela and Megan about getting us ladies together to go see it. They're in. Megan just started reading the book last week actually. And Angela has already read it. :)

Lena!
I would never think for ONE SECOND that you would be a bad employer! The summer I interned for you was one of my favorites because you are sooo kind and endearing!!! Since you do have a caretaker...just remember this: It is better to have tons and tons of people who love and adore one's kids than only a select few. Children notice this and appreciate their parents a hundred times more when they are allowed to be loved. :) xo

Jaime! I too have no doubt that you would be a good employer. You're too much fun! If anything, you would forget to be a bad employer because you are too busy having a party!! lol

Lena said...

roxy, i'm so glad that you have happy memories of our short but sweet internship time! you are very wise about child rearing... you're going to be such a good mom. my parents raised us with tons of friends (friends that were more like family) around and it's so true that i had so many people who loved me and i really do appreciate that. it's funny that you mentioned being asked about cpr training. i asked a friend who is a mom what she thought i should ask when i started interviewing babysitters and that is one she said. it just rubbed me the wrong way.. even though she is really cool and laid back. i guess since i knew i was a great nanny and i was never certified. one sweet thing about being on the other side of this, is i can see eli getting attached to our babysitter, even though he is so young and she only comes two afternoons per week, but i think it's so nice because i remember the bond i had with the babies and kids i nannied.

ROXY MARJ said...

Lena!

1. Thanks for your comment. I HOPE I will be a good mom someday, besides wanting to be a good wife, being a good mom is my #2 priority in life.

2. That is soo interesting about your friend and the cpr comment. I am totally in the same boat as you. I never received training either. I am curious to know if your friend is trained in cpr?

3. I visited a girlfriend today who just got out of the hospital. I asked her how she was doing and she proceeded to tell me the struggles she is dealing with, one of which is that she hasn't seen her little 3 year old in 2 weeks and how she feels so bad about that..she started to cry when she was telling me this. My heart ached so badly for her but I told her what you and I have been chatting about...and that she shouldn't feel bad about not being able to be with him right now since he is with family members who adore him...I then said, however, if you did leave him with a drug dealer then yes I would be feeling bad. She laughed at that and I think felt even better. Jesse and I are her little boy's sunbeam teachers at church [we teach the 3 & 4 year olds] and she always tells us how much Elliot loves us and that she is so glad we are his teachers. It makes me feel so good. :) xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...