Sep 23, 2009

Listening to a remix of Golden Cage [The Whitest Boy Alive] by Frank Falke right now... this is such a late night song...a city lights song...a song, that doesn't necessarily go with what I am going to post about right now...Norman Rockwell. One of my top 5 favorite artists of all time! :) Plus, he and I went to the same design school! I would be lying if I said I didn't want to be like him. I do. I would love to be the female version of Norman Rockwell, but in a slightly more kooky way....I dunno how that will pan out, but he is someone I truly admire and look up to. When in Washington last week, I stayed the night with my good friend and old Art teacher Anne Wendt. She is still teaching art at Southridge High where I went to shool[she is only 39 & started teaching there when she was my age! So cool!] anyways, got to go to class with her for half the day. While there I came across her Norman Rockwell book and realized I have not posted anything on my blog about him... Growing up, my mom had a HUUUGE burgundy linen book on Norman, I am pretty sure it was the largest book we had in the house. I would look through the book ALL the time, and then when I got old enough to start decorating my bedroom I would always cut out pictures from it to hang on my wall or to frame... I love him! :) Not only was Norman Rockwell an amazing artist, but he himself is something of a work of art. Every photo I see of him casts some kind of spell over me. I think a lot of it has to do with him always having a pipe in his mouth! :)









recognize this one? My drawing below was from this image.



4 comments:

Jessica Marie said...

I love how State Farm Insturance has calendars with Norman Rockwell's art! Love it! :) I bet you will become the next Norman! :)

Eva / Sycamore Street Press said...

I loved Norman Rockwell as a kid, but then in the art dept at college he became the butt of many jokes and I began to think he was lame. Thanks for reminding me of how wonderful he is!

ROXY MARJ said...

Good point Jessica, that is funny! :[) ahhh my fingers are crossed... I can only hope! :))

Eva. I cannot believe he would be the butt of many jokes...was this at the U? Now if we were talking about Bob Ross...that I can understand :[) Ha, how funny would that be though if I posted about Bob Ross saying how much of an inspiration he is to me.... ahaha lol...awwww...poor B.Ross...

Eva / Sycamore Street Press said...

I actually remember it more from BYU than the U. There was an art history professor in particular...I think it was more about the fact that so many people know who Norman Rockwell is and love him, but have no idea who Caravaggio or Eva Hesse are, for example. More that than his actual work. In any case, it's just the normal art school pretentiousness coming out.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...